The ‘Whiskey Silk’ is my first personal creation, using a Sweet Lemon Ginger shrub that is the key ingredient to this cocktail. Shrubs are typically created with equal parts fruit/spices – vinegar – sugar but that is merely just as suggestion because the possibilities are endless. They can be used to flavour your cocktail, mocktail, smoothie, soda water or any beverage for that matter.
Sweet Lemon Ginger Shrub
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Chamomile tea bag
- 1 cup raw sugar (or white sugar)
- 2 lemons – cut in half inch cubes (approx 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Heat up the water in a pot / sauce pan on medium heat and steep chamomile tea for 4-5 minutes.
2. After the tea is steeped, remove the tar bag and combine the remainder of the ingredients into the pot / sauce pan.
3. Bring the mixture up to a light boil for 1 minute, stir well and then turn the heat down to a low simmer.
4. Let the mixture stew and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Let cool for 15 min and then add the Apple Cider Vinegar.
6. Place the mixture into a container (mason jar) and then in the fridge for a minimum of 2 – 4 days, up to 7 days.
7. After that, use a fine strainer or cheese cloth and filter the contents so all you have left is the juice with no solids.
8. Ready to use for cocktails or mocktails!
Now, let’s make the cocktail!
- 2 1/2 ounces Whisk(e)y
- 1 ounce Sweet Lemon Ginger Shrub
- Token Lavender Bitters and/or Aromatic Bitters
- 1 egg (whites)
- Crack the egg and separate the whites into the shaker.
- when a cocktail includes egg whites, always shake them on their own for about 10 – 15 seconds to get them nice and silky and frothy before adding the other ingredients.
- After that add the bourbon or any whiskey you desire, the shrub and the bitters.
- Shake all the ingredients together for 20-30 seconds, making sure the shaker is nice and cold on your hands by the end of it.
- Grab your Hawthorne strainer and pour into a low volume glass. I chose to use a coupe glass because they are a person favorite of mine.
- Enjoy like I know you will!
- Cocktail created by Steven Shaw